Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The 365 Project: Week 33


This week on Picaboo the theme/challenge was taking photos in the midday sun.  I forgot to submit my pictures for this week, so I lost my chance to get featured, oops!

My lil diva!  And check out my re-blooming lilacs ;)

Not every great photo opportunity comes with the ideal setting or lighting conditions but that doesn't mean you can't have great photos!  There are a few tips you can follow to make the most of what is available to you at the moment even though, I admit, not all of my own photos this week follow those tips! 
Bubble fun!

First, try to put the sun behind your subject if possible.  This eliminates squinting and still creates a nicely lit photo.  Find some shade preferably.

Momma and her twins raiding the birdfeeders

Check your white balance.  This is your cloudy, sunny, etc settings.  Use a custom setting if you can to balance out your colors better but if you can't my own go to setting is cloudy regardless of weather conditions.  It makes for a warmer photo if that makes any sense to you.  My photo subject is typically my daughter if not something nature related so I don't always have time to tweak my settings.

Can you tell she's been playing in the dirt?

Watch for color casting on your subject's face.  This is that color cast of from brightly colored clothing or items that can leave a tinge of unwanted color on their skin.  Try turning them different angles from the sun, find some shade, or put something white in front of them (but out of the photo) to help reflect more light on their face.  Color casting can be fixed somewhat in post processing but it can be tricky.  It's best to avoid it altogether.

Yeah I know, another photo of a bumblebee, but they're perfect little subjects!

Of course my personal preference for time of day is evening because of the golden lighting conditions but some of my favorite photos have been taken in the midday sun!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!