Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Found it on Pinterest and Actually Did it: Felt Leaf Garland

I found this cute and super simple garland idea on Pinterest and decided to give it a try to add to my fall decor around the house.


Here's what you need:
  1. Felt in whatever colors you desire
  2. Pretty yarn
  3. Sewing needle with a large eye
  4. Scissors
  5. Permanent marker
  6. Cardstock, to make a leaf pattern

With your cardstock, draw a simple leaf shape and cut it out, you'll probably want to make it about 2 inches long, but that's up to you what size you want.  If you want to just free hand cut your leaves from the felt that fine too, I'm anal and wanted them all the same general shape and size.

Cut your yarn to the length you desire and add an inch for knotting the ends.  Since you're doing a simple stitch, it doesn't take away from the overall length.

Start drawing leaf shapes on your felt pieces and make as many as you feel you need, I got a little over ambitious with mine.  Cut them out when you're done and try to cut inside the permanent marker lines so they don't show on your finished garland.

Tie a knot on one end of your yarn and thread the yarn into your needle.  If it's too thick you can try to put a dab of plain white glue on the end and squish it flat with your fingers and let it dry and try again.
I put three stitches in each, sorry my thumb is covering the first stitch

Pull each leaf down to the next one before finishing the first stitch


Pull the needle through the felt leaf and to make it easier for yourself pull the leaf down to the end of your yarn (you can leave a few inches if you plan to tie the garland or pull it all the way to the end) and then put a few stitches in the leaf.  Repeat with the next till you're done and then knot the end of the yarn.  Have fun alternating colors like I did or choose a color pattern if you wish!


Feel free to pin this blog post using the pin it button!


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful Heather! And easy. I love leaves, and felt crafts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very easy! Took me all of 10 minutes, if that!

      Delete
  2. Great idea! LOVE IT! I love the baker's twine, too - giving the leaves an extra kick. Thank you so much for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours looks fantastic, and that yarn choice is perfect! Where are you going to hang it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I ended up hanging it over the door where I usually put Christmas garland.

      Delete
  4. how cute! I'd love to see what you did with it in your home!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!