Monday, May 7, 2012

The 365 Project: Week 18


For this week Picaboo had a theme and challenge of shooting the color red.  It sounds easy enough but red is in fact a difficult color to capture well on a camera. It's a very intense and saturated color so if your settings aren't right it can appear like it's glowing.  The easiest way to fix this issue is to change settings on your camera.  In the color settings you can change the saturation, dial it down a notch.  You can find color settings usually where you can set black and white, sepia, vivid etc.  look for "custom" or something titled like that to change your saturation if it's available.



Cherry tree leaves starting to grow
You can also try to adjust your white balance.  That's your sunny, cloudy, fluorescent, and so on settings on your camera.  A good go to especially for outdoors is the cloudy setting.  Also try to shoot the color red in the shade, it can look especially blown out in bright sunlight.

My daughter's shape sorting birdhouse
One of my favorite dragons
I have red and white tulips (they start out red and yellow) in my flower beds so of course I couldn't help but take a bunch of photos of them at various stages of opening.  For the sake of variety I did force myself to take photos of other red things too!


1 comment:

  1. Lovely photographs! Love the second one especially, like a fireball with those colors!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!