Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Etsy Shop Makeover-Tagging

I have FINALLY finished going over all my descriptions and titles so now I'll tackle my item tags!  I haven't done every makeover in the series but if anyone else is following Etsy's Shop Makeover series, I'm finishing up the Titles, Tags, and Descriptions part, finally :)  To revisit my very first item listing when I opened my shop, I'll use that for my example for fixing tags just like I did for fixing descriptions.

For my Spearmint Candy necklace listing I already started off on the right foot by using all 14 allotted tags, however they need work.  In order my tags are: jewelry, necklace, pendant, copper, wire wrapped, green, metal, toggle clasp, blue, white, red, glass, beaded, cotton cord.

I can cross out the ones that shoppers are less likely to enter as a search keyword or tags that could be replaced with better terms:
jewelry, necklace, pendant, copper, wire wrapped, green, metal, toggle clasp, blue, white, red, glass, beaded, cotton cord

I have six tags to fill and I now belong to three Etsy teams that use tags to find member's items so I need those plus three additional tags which are in bold and my notes are in italic below:
jewelry, necklace, pendant, copper, wire wrapped, lime green, green, metal, toggle clasp, aqua blue, blue, white, red, glass, beaded, cotton cord, playful, etsyheartsbeads, treasure lover, crafty housewives

I added "lime" to green as well as "aqua" to blue so that lime, green, aqua, and blue could all be used as search keywords since the green and blue colors in the necklace fits all four terms and then I get four keywords out of two tags.  The necklace has a playful style so I chose that keyword for a style tag.  The last three tags of every item I list will be reserved for the three teams I'm a part of that use team item tags.

It's good to use tags that represent style, patterns or motifs, colors, and textures.  To get you started, think about what kind of terms you would type when searching Etsy or on Google.  I also find Etsy's Tag-O-Rama blog post to be infinitely valuable when I'm stumped for good tag words, make sure to bookmark it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!