Friday, February 11, 2011

New Artwork and Nifty Extra Long Necklaces!

I've been super busy over the past few days making the most of the two days a week my mom ever so generously takes my little darling daughter so I can actually work!  Let me tell you it is not easy working a pair of jewelry pliers when you have peanut butter smeared all over your hand because some little toddler thought it was hilarious!


Anyway, I wanted to get some more artwork out, mainly because I swore I would and I also fear I may get rusty if I don't!  My absolute favorite art series hanging in my home that I painted is my Flower Series, a mixed media collection of large floral closeups in a rainbow of bright colors.  Since I absolutely loved making the bigger ones I thought why not incorporate them into my mini paintings?  The first one I've done so far is "Orchid", one of my favorite flowers done in a beautiful rich plum.  As with most of my art, I have created my artwork using a handmade deep cradled wooden panel that I plastered for a smooth drawing surface.  I like to leave a few imperfections in the plaster for added texture and to give it a worn appearance.  For this mixed media, I used graphite to draw out the orchid and then used an acrylic glaze to fill in the petal's color which allows the drawing to show through perfectly.  I really do love creating art using the beauty of nature, nothing really compares!  To finish the piece, I stained the wooden cradle using an antique walnut stain and added a sawtooth hanger to make it wall ready.  However, because of its cute small 4"x3" size it would look perfect on an accent table, bookcase, shelf or anywhere as a part of your home decor!  I'll be doing more and more of these darling little artworks so keep your eye out!

Next item here is Copper and Bronze Elegance.  I like the look of layered necklaces, but don't like the tangled mess they can get into by the end of the day (especially when a 2 year old must personally inspect and choke me with every item of jewelry I'm wearing!).  I created this extra long 42" necklace which can be worn as one long strand or you can double it for a two necklace layered effect!  It would work well too if you have any of those necklace shorteners (those kind used for long pearl strands) if you don't want to wrap it.  I designed this with alternating bronze and copper plated chains using both mother and son and cable chain to make it truly unique!  I really do like how the warmth of the copper and bronze metals match so perfectly!  The beads are just lovely in both Czech and lampwork glass, several I have topped with ornate bead caps to add a vintage touch.  This necklace comes in two playful colors: Cherry Red and Aqua Blue.

Lastly, I added another anklet to my Ocean Inspirations jewelry line!  This one I did in a playful lime green and brown!  It has a simplistic design using dyed mother of pearl, shell heishi, and deep stained wooden beads all strung on Stretch Magic elastic cord to make it super easy to take on and off.  It's also one of a kind!

To see any of these new additions, check them out in my Etsy Shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!