Monday, January 31, 2011

Today's Project- Item Descriptions

I've been following along with Etsy's recent Etsy Success emails in hopes to improve my shop in order to increase traffic, give it a better appearance, and make it more search engine friendly.  I have improved many of the photos already (although I'm not completely done yet) and now I will work on item descriptions!  I'd like to help those Etsy sellers who read my blog as well so I will share with you the before and after of one of my description and title renovations.  The below title and description is from my very first item listing when I first opened my shop!  My notes are in italic below each description.
Spearmint Candy
Before:


Spearmint Candy Copper Wire Necklace

This playful little copper necklace features a spearmint candy colored glass bead that looks good enough to eat!  The pendant is wire wrapped by hand using solid copper wire.  Pendant is approx 1.5" tall and 1" wide at the base.  Pendant is hand wired around a copper wire frame with the bead suspended inside.  Waxed cotton necklace is 18" long with knot and glass bead detail and a copper plated toggle clasp.

The title is a bit neutral, it could be made more specific.  The opening sentence isn't too bad however, since you only have a sentence or two that search engine listings show, I need to be more specific to draw potential customers in.  I have also removed myself from the listing, I want my buyers to know that I have personally made this item!  The item's details are good to give the reader exact dimensions so they know precisely what they are purchasing.  
After:


Spearmint Candy Hand Forged Copper Wire Wrapped Necklace

This is a playful little copper necklace that I have hand forged and wire wrapped by hand with a spearmint candy lampwork glass bead that looks good enough to eat!  Pendant is approx 1.5" tall and 1" wide at the base.  Waxed cotton necklace is 18" long with knot and glass bead detail and a copper plated toggle clasp.  This fun necklace would look great with its matching earrings!

I have made the title more specific and included better keywords like "wire wrapped" to make searching easier.  I put myself back into the listing by stating that I made it and made that all-so-important first sentence more specific and search friendly as well.  I also mentioned that I have matching earrings (I didn't at the time I originally listed this) and also included the earring's link at the bottom of the item's description to get visitors to consider purchasing them too, also keeping them in my shop longer thereby lowering my bounce rate for analytics at the same time!


This is just one simple example of how I improved a description to make it flow better and to include those very important search engine friendly keywords.  My next project will be to re-evaluate my item tags, also covered in Etsy's Shop Makeover blog which you can read for yourself by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!